1st National Youth Championship 2014
UOL Chess Society proudly announces “1st National Youth Championship 2014” organized by UOL Chess Society, IEEE UOL Student Branch and Chess Federation of Pakistan (CFP) from 5th to 6th September along with Open Blitz Chess Tournament (all ages) on 7th September at Study Hall Cafeteria, UOL Defence Rd Campus. Winner of each category will represent Pakistan in Asian Youth Chess Championship in November 2014 at New Delhi, India.
Registration fees: 500/- (Free for UOL Students)
For further queries contact:
Haider Ullah (0331-4127210)
Shehroze Zaheer (0312-4069645)
ty of Lahore, Chess, Championship, Campus Life, 2014,
FACULTY SPOTLIGHT: “Mudassar Hasan”, Lecturer, Lahore Business School, has recently attended the 2014 Annual Meeting of American Accounting Association (AAA) during August 02-06 at Marriot Marquis, Atlanta, Georgia, USA.
There he presented a research paper titled as “Time Series Modeling of KSE 100-Index”. The tour was funded by Higher Education Commission of Pakistan.
Excellent Career Opportunity
Admissions OPEN at The University of Lahore, Chenab Campus, Gujrat. For details on degree programs, visit: http://grt.uol.edu.pk/
ALL Admissions are OPEN now in all degree programs at UOL except MBBS/BDS. Last date to apply is 28th of August, 2014. Entry Test will be held on 30 - 31 August, 2014. For details on degree programs, Please visitwww.uol.edu.pk For complete fees guide, visit:http://uol.edu.pk/feeguide.aspx For any further queries, Please call 042-111-865-865 Ext. 1235.
University extends condolences on death of former student of UOL, Ahtisham Amjad (إِنَّا لِلّهِ وَإِنَّـا إِلَيْهِ رَاجِعونَ). He was the Gold Medalist of Department of Technology passed out from University in 2013. May his soul Rest in Peace. AMEEN.
To aspire for leadership and recognition is a dream of every young individual. However these young individuals who will one day rise to be the managers, leaders and decision makers of tomorrow should ingrain a few fundamentals about leadership in the early stages of their career.
1. Do not be tied down by mediocrity and small goals, think big. We are only limited by our vision and our belief in our capabilities. If we increase our field of vision and believe that we can be the prime minister of Pakistan, The chief executive of a corporation, a noble laureate, we can strive towards this goal. Most people fail because they do not even consider these goals as achievable by them.
2. Subjugate yourself to a cause bigger than the individual goal. The cause is always bigger than anything and is based on principles, values and ethics. There is no compromise on the core values and the ethical means to achieve them. The goal may be to help science, decrease poverty, and enhance education. It is better to serve a cause and lead a change in the environment.
3. There is no I in leadership. The leaders who give prominence to their individual self and fail to put the cause first are not trusted, fail to establish respect and above all fail to serve the cause. A leader is a person who moulds a team, who is almost invisible and yet leads the team to achieve results which almost seem impossible initially.
4. These individuals shun publicity and when success comes their way they give the credit to the whole team and good luck. The team knows that the leader is working for a common goal rather than personal interest. To help build leadership characteristics avoid using the word I in your conversation and writing.
5. Always be humble and polite. Look at the human values and principles rather than profits, results and figures all the time.
6. The softness and politeness in character must be underlined with determination and tough resolve. Whatever target has been set must be attained, a number of difficulties, hurdles, psychological barriers will come in your way. The higher the responsibility, the harder the issues, which must be overcome with persistence and effort.
7. These individuals lead the team to places where they have not thought they could go and achieve results which they thought were beyond them.
The students aspiring for top positions in our country should understand that technical knowledge, skills, experience and learning are a prerequisite for all leadership positions. The development of knowledge, the principles, attitude and personality are started at home and should be nurtured at all educational institutions. The leaders born in these institutions will one day guide our country hopefully to a better future.
Salman A. Bugvi
Lecturer, Department of Mechanical Engineering.
The University of Lahore
How to Initiate an Online Start-Up Business in Pakistan
With the recent start of 3G in Pakistan and the advancements in the use of internet, Pakistan is moving ahead in the online world at a really fast pace. Many new online startups have been initiated. Some of them like Groopic started locally but gained exposure and investment internationally while others like Lamudi were started by International Incubators. Thus, there hasn’t been a better time than NOW to initiate a startup in Pakistan. New graduates and even students should consider this an option when planning their career options.
In order to start a successful online business, a few steps are really important and cannot be highlighted enough:
- Choosing an Option:
Choose a business or field that interests you. This will guarantee that you do not lose interest in it over time. It is also important to keep in mind what is needed by the customers and what is lacking in the market that you can provide. In Pakistan, there are many more options available because many have not been explored before. Examples of successful startups from other countries can be used as an inspiration.
- Do Your Research:
After you have made up your mind on what you want to do, carry out an extensive research on who are your competitors in the market. Use search engines to find the websites of your competitors and analyze their business strategies. Make a list of DOs and DON’Ts for your own business plan.
- Plan Your Budget and Team:
Plan a budget and approach sponsors if you need financial help. There are a lot of international and national ventures that are investing in new and promising ideas nowadays. It seems really hard but it is more about contacting the right people with the right idea. The next important step should be to find a team to help you. Many new graduates are willing to work in new ventures for little to no pay, if you can offer them career development. It is important to have motivated and like-minded people around you do hire carefully!
- Stay Consistent:
This cannot be emphasized enough. Consistency is really important no matter what you choose to do. It usually takes some time for new startups to succeed and be profitable. So, Stay focused and consistent even if you don’t see results in the beginning.
If you follow these steps and stay focused, you can be the owner of a profitable online business in the near future!
UOL offers BS Aviation Management
Make your first step into an extraordinary career! Admissions OPEN in BS Aviation Management. For all the details, visit:http://www.uol.edu.pk/News.aspx?Type=News&NewsId=695
Admissions open at The University of Lahore (http://uol.edu.pk/), Pakistan’s premier Private University.