How to Initiate an Online Start-Up Business in Pakistan
With the recent start of 3G in Pakistan and the advancements in the use of internet, Pakistan is moving ahead in the online world at a really fast pace. Many new online startups have been initiated. Some of them like Groopic started locally but gained exposure and investment internationally while others like Lamudi were started by International Incubators. Thus, there hasn’t been a better time than NOW to initiate a startup in Pakistan. New graduates and even students should consider this an option when planning their career options.
In order to start a successful online business, a few steps are really important and cannot be highlighted enough:
- Choosing an Option:
Choose a business or field that interests you. This will guarantee that you do not lose interest in it over time. It is also important to keep in mind what is needed by the customers and what is lacking in the market that you can provide. In Pakistan, there are many more options available because many have not been explored before. Examples of successful startups from other countries can be used as an inspiration.
- Do Your Research:
After you have made up your mind on what you want to do, carry out an extensive research on who are your competitors in the market. Use search engines to find the websites of your competitors and analyze their business strategies. Make a list of DOs and DON’Ts for your own business plan.
- Plan Your Budget and Team:
Plan a budget and approach sponsors if you need financial help. There are a lot of international and national ventures that are investing in new and promising ideas nowadays. It seems really hard but it is more about contacting the right people with the right idea. The next important step should be to find a team to help you. Many new graduates are willing to work in new ventures for little to no pay, if you can offer them career development. It is important to have motivated and like-minded people around you do hire carefully!
- Stay Consistent:
This cannot be emphasized enough. Consistency is really important no matter what you choose to do. It usually takes some time for new startups to succeed and be profitable. So, Stay focused and consistent even if you don’t see results in the beginning.
If you follow these steps and stay focused, you can be the owner of a profitable online business in the near future!
UOL offers BS Aviation Management
Make your first step into an extraordinary career! Admissions OPEN in BS Aviation Management. For all the details, visit:http://www.uol.edu.pk/News.aspx?Type=News&NewsId=695
Admissions open at The University of Lahore (http://uol.edu.pk/), Pakistan’s premier Private University.
QEC Learning Centre has organized a two-day workshop on “Systematic and Easy Literature Review Techniques” in collaboration with Institute of Research Promotion. The workshop held on 27th-28th June, 2014 at UOL Defence Rd. campus.
The purpose of the workshop is to upgrade the attendees with the research applications that how Endnote, NVivo, and Turnitin help in citation, writing, and control plagiarism from review of literature.
GUIDELINES FOR EFFECTIVE RESEARCH
Sound and effective research not only is a requisite towards student’s degree program but is the foundation for a country’s academic success. High quality research not only facilitates the generation and acquisition of knowledge but is beneficial for society, industry and the nation. As a student the benefits are recognition and appreciation of effort through publications and conferences. Hence the research bug once bitten to a person can transform the nature, career and personality of the individual. Research can also be commercialized resulting in financial incentives and new businesses.
There are a few guiding principles for effective research work. These guidelines can help students and towards their research projects.
- All research work should start in non premeditated fashion. Do not have any preconceived ideas about the topic.
- The world is full of natural observations and scenarios waiting for you to investigate. These natural observations can be converted into theories and hypothesis to be tested.
- Take the help of latest impact factor journals and publications for conducting literature review and coming up with a title for your research work. HEC Digital Library offers a wide selection of Publishers and Journals for use.
- Prepare your synopsis, which is the foundation of your research. Define your title, problem statement, need of research, objectives, methodology and measurement tool, time frame of research and get approval.
- The research ideally should have an international perspective.
- After elaborate and continuous literature review identify your independent and dependent variables.
- Prepare a plan on how to test your hypothesis. What type of measuring instrument will be used for checking and validating the hypothesis? Master the Measurement Tool which may be SPSS, Minitab or other software.
- Prepare your survey tool, which could be a questionnaire, interview or focus group. Questions should be non directive, neutral, unbiased and give answers based on the Likert Scale having values ranging from 1-5 from extremely likely to extremely unlikely.
- Data should be gathered carefully from the concerned respondents directly. An honest and determined effort at this stage will make the analysis and result easy and effective.
- Data should be coded and entered into software.
- Convert the statistical analysis into results and implications. Come up with conclusions, findings and recommendations.
- Spend majority of your time and effort on studying data and analysis. Results should not be hurried and should involve detailed study.
- Thesis should be written with relevant chapters of introduction, literature review, methodology, and analysis, discussion of results, conclusions and recommendations.
- Research papers should be extracted from thesis and published in reputable impact factor journal recognized by HEC.
Research Process can be of different nature depending upon your area of interest ranging from social sciences to engineering. Research can be exploratory, based on literature review or experimental.
The reward of high quality recognition is recognition, academic knowledge, industry support, attractive resume, incentives and national pride.
As students, teachers and Pakistani academia it is our duty to put Pakistan on the map through utilizing our knowledge and intelligence towards effective research. May Allah guide and support us in our endeavors to make it a reality.
Salman. A. Bugvi
Lecturer, Department of Mechanical Engineering.
The University of Lahore
Admissions Fall - 2014
Admissions are OPEN now in all degree programs at UOL except MBBS/BDS. Last date to apply is 9th of July, 2014. Entry Test will be held on 12 - 13 July, 2014. For details on degree programs, Please visit www.uol.edu.pk For complete fees guide, visit: http://uol.edu.pk/feeguide.aspx For any further queries, Please call 042-111-865-865 Ext. 1235.
Telemedicine in Pakistan
Salman. A. Bugvi
The University of Lahore
How to get a good job?
How to get a good job?
This is the questions usually most youngsters ask. After completing education, everyone dreams about a good job, and usually youngsters look for bigger names of companies, respectable positions in company, good salary and impressive benefits like leaves, medical, pension etc. Some do find such opportunities, few struggles to get half of their expectations and some fail to find any decent job.
The 1st step while looking for a job should be; you must be honest with you. Before applying for any position, some questions you should ask yourself are; do I like this job, does it interest me, will I be able to enjoy the challenge. Remember; if you enjoy the job, it can become fun but if you do a job for the sake of job and money, it can be tiring and punishment.
2nd step; if you like the job and position offered, look at the profile of the company. Look at simple things like; growth opportunities, working environment, gender equality in work place etc.
3rd step; prepare an impressive CV and under career objectives explain why you want this job. Never claim anything on CV which you have no experience of or what you cannot deliver. Do not bluff, be presentable straight and honest.
4th step; if called for interview, speak your mind. Mention your strengths, what makes you suitable for the position you are applying for and what difference you can make. Remember; you write truth in your CV and speak truth during interview, you don’t have to remember what you wrote and said. You will be more relaxed and confident.
5th step; during interview if you get a positive response, don’t hesitate to discuss growth opportunities, benefits etc. It is always better to join a job with clear mind about what is expected from you by the employer and what you will be getting for your hard work and time. Prove them your worth as a self-starter if you are freshly employed without any experience. It’s in no one’s interest to have an unsatisfied and de-motivated employee in any organization.
Conclusively, to get a good job is not difficult if a person develops confidence and attitude to address challenging situations and mitigate the ability of being intimidated by interviewers, Candidates must prove their worth before them. A perplexed, shaky and ambiguous mind will always represent a negative image. Hence a person must equip himself with the right qualities and skills and he/she will be in an optimum position to handle situational factors that are a part of acquiring a good job.
Wish you All the Best!
Coordinator, Alumni Office
The University of Lahore
Ambassador of Sudan Mr. Alshafie Ahmed Mohamed visits The University of Lahore. Patron UOL Mr. M. A. Raoof and Chairman UOL Mr. Awais Raoof welcomed him at UOL Defence Rd Campus.
The Ambassador also met Sudanese students studying at The University of Lahore in different disciplines.